- Do not give glucose/jaggery/sugar/plain
water or honey before the first breastfeed
(No Prelacteal feeds).
- Soon after delivery hold your baby close
to give skin to skin body contact in the delivery
room & also start breastfeeding within
half an hour of delivery (Early
contact & Breastfeeding).
the breastmilk during the first 2-3 days after
delivery, though scanty, is highly nutritious,
protective & also sufficient
for the baby.
- Always keep your baby with you in the same
bed (Bedding In).
- Breastfeed whenever your baby is hungry
& without any restriction of time (Demand
- Before discharge from the maternity home
learn to hold and position the baby properly
& comfortably while breastfeeding. Also
learn to express breastmilk & store it.
- Do not give your baby gripe water, balkadu,
glucose water or tonics for teething.
- Give only breastmilk till the baby is about
6 months old (Exclusive
Breastfeeding). Water, top milk,
honey, vitamins and almonds should not be
given during this period.
- At about 6 months of age gradually introduce
soft home made
weaning foods in small quantities frequently.
However continue to breastfeed atleast till
the second birthday.
- Do not use bottle, pacifiers, milk powder
or baby food (free or subsidised samples of
these items are not allowed in maternity homes.
Their advertisement in any form is also prohibited
- Do not apply any cream on sore or cracked